Unit of Competency: RIIWHS202D Enter and Work in Confined Spaces
A confined space:
- Is any enclosed or partially enclosed space that is not intended or designed primarily a place of work
- May but need not have restricted means of entry and exit.
A confined space has one of these dangers:
- A dangerous level of oxygen or
- Something in it (a gas) that could cause an explosion or fire
- Contaminants (gasses, vapour, or dust) or
- Something that could engulf you and make it hard for you to breathe.
Whether you have previous experience or not Ag Training trainers work with you to deliver the best possible result.
This unit covers the entering and working in confined spaces in resources and infrastructure industries, and includes:
- planning and preparing for entry of confined spaces,
- entry and working in confined spaces,
- exiting confined spaces
- cleaning up
Successful trainees receive a Statement of Attainment and a Statement of Attainment card (see example below) to carry in your wallet.
> 1 Day
> 8:00am – 4:00pm
- Access, interpret and apply compliance documentation relevant to entering and working in confined spaces. Obtain, confirm and apply work instructions relevant to the allotted task
- Obtain, confirm and apply safety requirements relevant to the allotted task
- Obtain authorisation (entry permit) to enter the confined space in accordance with regulatory requirements. Confirm the emergency response procedure is with the stand-by person
- Identify, obtain and implement signage and barrier requirements as required by the project plan
- Select tools and equipment to carry out tasks that are consistent with the requirements of the job and check them for serviceability and rectify or report any faults
- Identify, confirm and apply to the allotted task the environmental protection requirements from the project environmental management plan. Position rescue equipment as required by the entry permit close to the point of entry. Gain access to the confined space
- Ensure that the atmosphere is tested and monitored for harmful elements in accordance with procedures. Apply tagging and lock-out procedures as required
- Enter the confined space according to agreed procedure. Maintain communication with the stand-by person. Comply with entry permit requirements while carrying out designated work in confined space. Monitor and adhere to allocated entry time. Exit confined space according to agreed procedure. Recover tools, equipment and materials from the confined space
- Conduct inspection of the confined space. Secure access according to site procedures
- Remove tagging and lock-out according to site procedures. Complete confined space entry permit
- Clear work area and dispose of or recycle materials in accordance with project environmental management plan. Clean, check, maintain and store tools and equipment in accordance recommendations and standard work practices. Remove, clean and store barriers and signs
Location – Ag Training come to you
Working at Confined Spaces courses can be held at Ag Training in Toowoomba or at your work site depending on numbers of participants